Sunday, June 04, 2006

A great run...with a side order of humility

We had a great run: Anna and I both beat our personal goals. I mentioned earlier that my goal was 65 minutes for the 10K, but this was somewhat modified...let me explain. The night before the race I made a list of all the things we would need, the jogging strollers, water bottles, gatorade, snacks for the kids, etc. I packed the van up with care, fitting both strollers into the back of our Odyssey perfectly. So this morning when we woke up at 6:00am we didn't have to worry about anything. Well, when Anna's dad was dropping me off first at the 10K start I began swiftly assembling the folded up stroller...I realized that I forgot one detail: the handle for the stroller was missing. Oh no. I was so bummed. After all the planning and packing, and preparing Joshua emotionally for the fun we would have together, I had to tell him that I wasn't able to take him. He happily went back with Grandpa Bolster, but I had to walk to the starting line alone.
It was sad to not be able to share the experience with my son, but I decided to make it up somehow by beating last years time of 60 minutes. I finished 6.2 miles in just over 54 minutes, a record time for me.
Anna's sister Catherine was kind enough to run alongside Anna to keep her company during her first race. They also pushed along Maria and Sammy in the Chariot. They finished the 5K about 10 minutes ahead of me. They both said they had a good time with the other runners and all the cool musicians who were playing along the way.

Thanks to Dad Bolster for driving us to and from the race. Thanks to my dad and mom who came to watch us finish and took this picture. My dad and younger sister Emily plan to join us next year!

No comments: