Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sensitive kids and their sense of justice

This afternoon Sam appeared to be getting ready to draw on our globe with a marker. Anna and I both interviened from the couch by saying "NO" very firmly.

Well apparently Sam was not planning on drawing in it, and he was very sad that we had been so abrupt with him. He came over wimpering and looking for us to apologize. But we didn't apologize as first; instead we cuddled him. He continued his little fussy wimpers so my adult mind told me "distract him."

So I tickled Sam while doing the "your foot bone's connected to" song. He layed quietly and even laughed when I got to his collar bone. But when I finished he started wimpering again. So I did the whole song again with the same reaction. And again, after I stopped he started fussing again.

I thought for sure I could just get him to forget our mistake, but Anna finally realized that he wanted us to apologize. After we apologized he stopped and went back to his normal self immediatly. Aren't kids amazing?

No comments: