Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The amazing ebay

Anna and I have been purchasing things on ebay for years and we enjoyed the excitement of getting things that we need for cheap. There is definetly an adrenalean rush when you fear that someone else is sitting with their eyes glued to the same auction ready swoop in and bid higher. We developed a system with the kitchen timer that allows us to place our max bid in the last 10 seconds, not leaving any previous bidder the chance to bid up the cost.
To some this may seem unfair, but I disagree: that is what the "maximum bid" function is there for. You are supposed to put in the most you are willing to pay for the item. If my bid is lower than your maximum, than you still win.
Anyway, it is impossible for us to keep our heart rates down as we are waiting for the last seconds to tick by.

Now I have found an even more fun way to use ebay...selling stuff we don't need. We've been going throught the house and posting items that may have some value to others. It is so much fun to sit and watch other people out-bidding eachother for things that we don't even want.
Do you know why ebay is better than a garage sale? Let me tell you. When someone comes up and says, "how much for this widget?"
I might respond: "10 bucks."
The professional garage sale shopper, not seeing anyone else around says, "I'll give you six for it."
Now if I say, no I am taking a big chance that some other person might come around later and pay $10 for something I don't even want around my house anymore. I will probably take the $6 and be glad to be rid of it.

On ebay, your buyers say: "I'll pay six." "Hey, I'll pay $8." "No, $10." Then some guy will swoop in and take it for $11.
Ka-ching
Selling on ebay is much more fun...

No comments: